Sunday, February 26, 2012

Settling In

I spent most of the day navigating one of the goliath bank's website looking for mortgage rates and closing costs.  I am not buying a house.  I am playing parent to my own parents... trying to refinance their existing mortgage to save them money and hopefully get them on track to financial stability so that I am not adding on to my own home in 30 years for them to move in.  I think it would be easier to take a day off of work and go down to the bank than to find the webpage I am searching for but this way I don't have to deal with any goliath bank customer service representative.

I have my own mortgage.  Just no house.  I make a typical mortgage payment every month to my student loans. I paid for my college education myself; or should I more accurately say I indebted myself for my own education.  So 7 years after my last graduation I find myself with a Master's Degree, a Bachelor's, 2 Associate Degrees, a mediocre government job, and severe hairloss.  The upside is that if I make it through 1 more union contract negoiation I will have a partial pension.  If they don't take it away.  If I can hang on another two years.  If someone doesn't decide to slip some language into the contract eliminating my payments before I live long enough to receive them, like they already did with my health insurance.

So here I am, the makeshift financial advisor for my extended family, not knowing what I would do if I ever saw a positive number on my complicated personal finance spreadsheet.  I guess I'm just the only person in the family that looks beyond today.  The jury is still out on whether or not that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment