Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cupcakes

The upside of being home with 2 other generations of my family is that every once in a while one of those Kodak moments comes along that overshadows the whole embarrassment of being 31, broke, and perpetually single.  Today my mom and I decided to tackle cupcakes.  These are the super fancy, more work than they are really worth type cupcakes.  We are planning a 95th birthday party for my gram in a few months so I figured if I'm making cupcakes for the event I should try it out first to make sure they don't end up a sloppy mess. 

So, for the last few hours we have been a pair of sticky fingered bakers with neon icing.  I made ones that looked like pies and apples (practicing for gram's party ones) and mom make hot pink and cookie monster blue monstrousities.  It was a great night and the laughing at our stained fingers and the dog running around with the dropped cupcake made the stress of work melt away.

It makes me sad when I think that my mom will be gone way too soon.  She is terminally ill and when it was first discovered we were told it would be a miracle for her to survive 6 days.  It's been 7 years since I sat in the hospital listening to the doctor tell me that horrible news while my mom lay in a coma.  I'll get into more detail about that in another post.  For now I want to smile, etch this night in my memory, and be thankful for those 7 years of miracles and cupcake making. 

No comments:

Post a Comment